Hello, you’re going to read some points about Internet of Things. So…
What is ” Internet of Things ” (IoT) about?
The “Internet of Things” is becoming an increasingly growing topic of conversation.
This is the concept of basically connecting any device with an on and off switch to the Internet. It goes from cellphones, coffee makers, washing machines, headphones or even wearable devices.
Nowadays, the increased use of the devices with internet connection, WiFi or even sensors built into them — the smartphone penetration sky-rocketing, technology costs going down — are creating a perfect environment for developing the Internet of Things. Devices are transmitting data that lets to understand better how those things work and how they work together. So, It lets to create a huge net interconnecting all the devices being more autonomous having the opportunity to take decisions with the information that they are always sending and receiving. All the information compiled through the different devices is compiled to create a common language. It gives a new form of communication between servers, devices and apps.
“Pretends to create relations not only between people, but people with objects/devices or even devices-devices. It is thought to make our life easier, to concentrate ourselves on the things that are more important, giving the chance to take care of our daily routine’s tasks to the devices using the information that they have compiled about us.”
- For example, what if your alarm clock wakes up you at 6 a.m. and then notifies your coffee maker to start brewing coffee for you? Or your fridge order the stock that are missing for our meals?
But, how does this impact us?
- First step. Process start with devices themselves. They communicate to Internet of Things’ platform. This platform integrates the media from many devices and applies analytics to share the most valuable data with applications that address industry specific needs.
- The information that all devices are sending to the platform creates a historical record in a secure data-base.
- Then, the platform generates an action or a solution for the devices that sent the information. To give the best solution, the platform has to analyse all the inputs of information from all the similar devices connected to him.
“It’s a concept that is not only going to impact how we live but also how we work.”
Now, we will see an example to understand how it works and impact us:
A lot of cars are sending information about their stats. If you have a brake problem in your car, the platform looks at the database for similar information of the car’s problem and find out what the solutions have been for those cars. For example, if you have to change the brake, the platform searches which factory is the one that manufactured those pads that are best suited to our car and, once you receive the information, we just have to go to the workshop to change them. Much faster and easier.
Some things to have in consideration…
Security is a big issue that is oftentimes brought up. With billions of devices being connected together, what can people do to make sure that their information stays secure? Will someone be able to hack into your toaster and thereby get access to your entire network?
“Anything that can be connected, will be connected”
Here I leave some links in case you want to continue learning about the subject:
- The book of Rolf and Romana Weber Internet of Things (2010).
- The book of Cuno Pfister Getting started with the Internet of Things (2011).
- Wikipedia: Internet of Things (IoT)